Wierdest damn thing.


So… that error.

Faithful reader Sean commented to let me know that the mysterious “With” had showed up again elsewhere.  As “Withd.”

After much investigation, I discovered that the problem was with the word “replace”.   The word “replace” had been globally replaced with the word “With”.   As in the middle of “fireplace.” Or “replaced”, or “replacements.”

Very odd..

So, I went to Scrivener’s conversion control screens and found that the Replacements screen had somehow cloned its own column headers into the column contents.   So that under Replace it had “Replace”, and under With it had “With.”  Since it executes these things on compile only my original document was perfectly clean!  It only showed up in the actual Kindle .mobi file.

Now, I had previously compiled the Kindle .mobi, and at that point I’d scrutinized it within an inch of its life, and no such error existed.  Thus, I already knew that it was clean, clean, clean —

So, I just added my brand new ISBN number to the front matter, and compiled one more time.

And that’s when it happened.  Unknown to me, every instance of “replace” got changed to “With.”  FiWith.  Withd.  Withment.

I think there was a Scrivener program update between my last scrutinization of output, and my final with-ISBN compile.  Might have happened then.

So… updates with corrections are now updating.

Insert sigh of both relief and frustration.

Amazon will be sending out an email to all owners of the book with instructions on how to get the updated version.  Also, I’ll let you know here.

Upside:  I made all the fire-places be fireplaces again.  Much better.



One Response to “Wierdest damn thing.”

  • Evan Says:

    I am slightly embarrassed to admit that when I started reading the book last night, I assumed it was just worldbuilding, and people in this world burn stuff in a thing called a “fiWith”.

    I was disappointed that you hadn’t invented a new word for “mantle”, but otherwise I was quite fine with it.